Saturday, February 27, 2010

Seeing the Sun

My friend Laura has inspired me to try to do a better job keeping my blog up-to-date. She's a children's writer - and she has a funny blog relating life to her writing. Very cool. Check her out -- Laura Pauling.

So, here's my question of the day. Is it possible to write and be inspired by a subject that you can't see? How much can you capture the spirit of a subject through research?

It's kind of a loaded question. I'm definitely feeling some seasonal depression because of the horrid weather we're having in the Northeast. And I'm writing a non-fiction for middle grades about the Sun. And I haven't seen the sun in what feels like weeks. Now of course there is a lot of research out there on the Sun. Of course I can write about it. But, I wonder if my manuscript would have been more inspired if I could have seen the darn thing this week.

Next project is the Stars. I'm going to make an effort to borrow a telescope so that I can do some observing. I want to see the Stars - more than just looking up in the sky - really see the stars as I'm writing this one.

And then back to revisions on my novel. My poor characters are waiting [patiently] for me to finish their story.

No comments: