Saturday, August 7, 2010

Getting Back in the Game

It's so easy to be distracted while querying--all the pretty lights blogs and twitter accounts and querying websites and forums, etc., etc.

I've had a really hard time getting used to the TIME querying takes.  Yes, there are the quick agents who come back with "NO" very fast.  But I've decided I like the ones who take their time more.  Yeah, it's great to get a lightning-fast reply...but really, did that agent who responded in 20 minutes really read my sample pages? Even if I did target well?

I've been lucky enough to be assigned a work-for-hire project this summer.  Actually two.  And I've had to get myself to the library--force myself to do the research--write and update an outline--put my butt in the chair (pandora.com blaring on my headphones)--actually write words on a page.

It feels good.  And I'm working.  Of course I still check twitter, but hey, going cold turkey is hard.

Anyway, my advice for the day--try to distract your subconscious. Work on something else.  Even if it's a blog post. ;)

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I agree - though some have taken that long that I don't even recognise the e-mail address and am left scratching my head thinking 'i queried you?'

Kristine Asselin said...

You're right, Nicole--and be sure to check your spam folder. I've found one or two in there as well!

Aubrie said...

I find it harder to write while I'm querying.

Not only does it take time, but it also brings me down sometimes because of all the rejections.

Don't worry! We'll get through it!

Kristine Asselin said...

Aubrie--me too! I've been trying not to let it get me down. Onward, right?

Julie Musil said...

It's so true! We'd drive ourselves crazy if we just stared at our in box.

That's awesome that you have two work-for-hire projects. That will keep your mind occupied.

Good luck on those queries!

Anonymous said...

Query is so frustrating, nerve wracking, and so far mostly disappointing, but you have to keep plugging away.

Congratulations on the work for hire projects!