Monday, May 30, 2011

Book Clubs for Kids

I'm a proud mama. Yesterday, my almost-third-grader said "You know what, Mom? I'd like to have a book club with my friends."

Of course the next words out of her mouth were, "But if we meet at someone else's house, can you just drop me off?" (What's up with that? Am I suddenly not cool enough to hang out? Hmm, must work on  that.)

LOL. Anyway, we're undertaking an experimental book club this summer with a few friends. Not sure how it's going to work yet, but two of the books being thrown around are ANY WHICH WALL by Laurel Snyder (which my daughter is devouring right now and the book that precipitated the outburst) and MARTY McGUIRE by Kate Messner. Two of my favorite children's authors--not that I had any input at all!

So exciting to see her love reading and want to share it!

6 comments:

Ruth Donnelly said...

How wonderful! Congrats on raising a daughter who loves literature and has good taste in books. :)

Unknown said...

Haha, aren't kids sweet!?! :D

That is just so cute and wonderful! I hope it ends up being really fun for her!

LTM said...

Fantastic idea!!! And that's so funny b/c my youngest asked if I was having a book club meeting this month. I told her no, I wasn't doing book club anymore b/c we're moving (aww!!! :o(

Then she said, "How do you start a book club?" And I told her how easy it was. I never considered helpin her start one ... what a great idea!

Thanks, Kristin! :o) <3

Lindsay N. Currie said...

Oh that's awesome!! My oldest son is finishing up his third grade year and has had a book club all year with his friends at school. Boys reading for fun. . .no joke! They've read The Artemis Fowl series, Where the Red Fern Grows, tons of Rick Riordan and Because of Winn Dixie. Amazingly cool. Good luck with it!

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks Ruth and Marisa--I think it's going to be a lot of fun.

LTM -- go for it!

And, Lindsay--Wow, that's so cool. Love it when I hear about boys reading for fun.

I'll report back once we have it off the ground with some tips!

MTeacress said...

Oh, good. Two books I haven't heard of. I added them to my list. :)