Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Things we take for granted...

I'm pretty sure this is the first time in over a year that I've gone more than a week without posting. But I have a good excuse! From Saturday night until Tuesday morning, we didn't have power at the house. While the generator kept the furnace and fridge running, we didn't have power to run luxuries like the laptop or the TV, much to the chagrin of my daughter.

It's a good lesson in the things we take for granted. Like hot coffee and hot showers. Warm house. Cold milk and frozen popsicles. Turning on the TV to watch the news.

With my smart phone, I was able to keep tabs on my neighbors through facebook and track who had power and who didn't. We arranged to shower at a friend's house. But three days passed without working on the revisions, without turning the tube on, without sleeping particularly well. And the worst thing? Halloween was canceled. Well, postponed. For Friday, November 4. Which isn't Halloween. Weird.

We learned the third grader can kick our butts in Monopoly. We learned that as long as we're warm and have hot coffee, we can survive almost anything. We learned that we have exceptional neighbors.

I feel like I've missed a week of my life. But I'm thankful for my community, my family, and the power of a hot cup of coffee.

View from my front door. Did I mention we got a foot of snow?

6 comments:

MG Higgins said...

I've been without power for days at a time and know what it's like. It sucks! Thank goodness you have a generator, and, yes, good neighbors are invaluable. So are local independent radio stations. I'm glad you and you're family are okay.

Lisa Gail Green said...

Don't shoot me, because I know it must have been awful, but it kind of sounds like fun too!

Katy Upperman said...

You are a stronger woman than I, that's for sure! I'd go crazy without all of the everyday comforts I take for granted. Here's to hoping everything's back to normal for you very soon!

Laura Pauling said...

@Lisa - It's really only fun the first night, and then it gets old fast.

Glad you all survived and back with power!

Kristine Asselin said...

Thanks everyone!

@MC--thank goodness for facebook on my smart phone. Def would have felt out of the loop without it!

@Lisa--it would have been awful without the generator!

@Katy--you would manage, I'm sure. It does bring out the best in people!

@Laura--thanks. :)

Ansha Kotyk said...

Yes, something like this definitely puts things into perspective. :) I'm currently clearing out my fridge of all the smelly food gone bad... I'm saving the chest freezer for later. sigh. And yes, that hot coffee works wonders!!!