Saturday, November 3, 2012

NaNoLite

I've never done NaNoWriMo before (for the uninitiated, National Novel Writing Month -- www.nanowrimo.org). I don't feel like I'm particularly prolific and writing 50K words in a month completely overwhelms me.

On the other hand, writing something every day has power. There's an energy and a momentum you gather by working on a piece every day. And the feeling of accomplishment--and having something to revise--must be priceless.

So a few of my friends committed to doing a "lite" version of NaNo. Pick your daily word count. Make is something you can achieve. Mine is 500.

It's daunting to see the word counts that some people are racking up. Thousands and thousands of words. But we all have different schedules, different responsibilities, different writing styles.

So far, since Thursday, I've written about 2000 words. And feeling very proud of my word count.

Anyone want to join me in NaNoLite? I'm even using a hashtag on twitter. #NaNoLite.



4 comments:

Kelly Polark said...

Excellent idea that doesn't seem as overwhelming yet gets the butt in chair! My goal this month is to finish my revisions. NaNoReMo I guess :)

Robin said...

So smart to go at NaNo with a Lite version. The word counts can be rather daunting.

I hope it keeps going well. Most of us Nano crazed individuals (well at least from what i remember from the one year I did it) had high word counts in the beginning and then the middle was crazy hard to meet and the end was a frantic, I must do this, I can do this feeling. Throw in Thanksgiving and and it whole lot of crazy:)

Writing every day has power. Good luck!

Ansha Kotyk said...

I'm with you on writing NaNoLite. Weekends are the roughest. My goal is 1k a day, yesterday I only managed 500 during a swim class. Today prob won't be easy either, I've got a b-day party and storm preparedness to handle (aren't we supposed to get a nor'easter? sigh. Better get a notebook and pen ready.)
Writing everyday is powerful, indeed! Keep it up! You can do it!!

Anna Staniszewski said...

This is pretty much what I did last month. I aimed for 1k words a day, and it really helped. Right now I'm revising, so no NaNoAnything for me, sadly,but I'm happy to cheer you guys on!